Thursday, March 18, 2010

What is your delight?

I was moved by Psalm 37 while doing my dailiy reading and reflection and decided to teach it on Tuesday night to encourage my brothers in prison. I was taken off guard when after reading verse 4, "Delight yourself also in the Lord, And He shall give you the desires of your heart" NKJV, one of them asked me what delight meant. As I thought about how best to describe it many things came to mind: hugging my wife, laughter of children, sunrise, the singing of birds at dawn, serving others, anything that made me feel great joy. But as I thought even more I was overwhelmed with memories of the great delight and joy that I experience when I get to sit quietly, alone with the Creator of the universe. I go to bed with expectancy of what God will show me in the morning and I awaken with expectancy of "the peace that surpasses understanding" as I sit with my heavenly Father. And what's really cool about this Psalm is that later in verse 23, "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way", God delights in us when we walk with Him! What a cool thought, and it gets even better in verse 24, "Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand"! God not only delights in us but even when we stumble or fall He picks us up with His own hand. How can we not delight in Him, how can we not immerse ourselves in His love and share our delight with others. So what do you delight in?

2 comments:

  1. I delight in seeing Father reveal more of Himself to each of His extravagantly loved children and the outflow of His love towards others! Delight in Him! Oh yes, delight in Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My delight these days is in His relentless passion for you and me and thee. It just absolutely blows me away (i.e. delights me)that the Creator of the universe delights in us. Words do it no just. I quess that means it would be indescribable, as is He.

    ReplyDelete

Relational Tithe

Weird ?