Monday, February 7, 2011

Celebrating Life

This is the complete post from the CaringBridge Journal for Eric Schmidt written by his wife Laura:

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:25 PM, CST
Three and a half years ago, I married the most wonderful man I know and my very best friend.

Today, he went to be with his Jesus. He was ready to go.

The cancer here on earth won, but he is forever with the Lord.

While this was the most difficult day of my life, I can honestly say that I have a peace that only comes from the Lord....peace that Eric is in a place where there is no more sorrow, no more suffering, and no more pain. He no longer has to struggle with throwing up profusely, no longer has to stay up all night trying to get comfortable sleeping because he is in such pain, no longer must suffer through chemotherapy and radiation that takes away every ounce of his energy, no longer has to deal with extreme sadness because he has no strength to carry his son or even hold him in his arms. He is with Jesus, playing his guitar and worshiping his Almighty Maker who received him today with open arms. We as his loved ones all had the opportunity to cheer him on this morning to his home in heaven. I smile as I think about him there, and cry as I think about him not with me here on earth.

2 Timothy 4:7 says, "He has fought the good fight, he has finished the race, he has kept the faith!

This, I believe to be true of my dear husband who was also a dear son, brother, father, and friend. Eric demonstrated even to the end of his life here on earth, that he was honored to carry the part of the cross that Jesus asked him to bear. I can still hear him saying to himself as he was over the toilet throwing up, "Consider it all joy, consider it all joy." Never once did I hear him complain about what he was facing. I also will never forget how throughout our journey, Eric would encourage me when I was struggling, "Laura, our best days are ahead, our best days are ahead."

Thank you Eric, for pointing me and everyone else to Jesus! We ache because we don't know how to live without you here on earth with us, but we are thankful that you are in a better place!

Saturday, we will celebrate his life with a funeral here in Shreveport, Louisiana.
11:00 a.m. Barksdale Air Force Base Chapel #2

On Monday, in Enid, Oklahoma, there will be a burial at 4pm followed by a celebration of his life service at Enid MB Church at 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relational Tithe

Weird ?