Wednesday, December 29, 2010

"Fewer Services, More Service"

"I want to propose a slogan: "Fewer Services, More Service." Most churches focus a great deal of energy each week on creating a meaningful worship experience. I have no objection to that. ... Unfortunately, very little energy is put into helping members know one another well enough that they could tend to a culture of grace and truth in their midst.

But note that the service Jesus offered on the night he taught his disciples to love one another was a very mundane service to them. Jesus didn't invite them to a worship service. Nor did he create an opportunity for the disciples to service the disadvantaged of Jerusalem. Instead, Jesus washed their feet. ... Jesus said the world will know we are his disciples if we love one another by tending to each other's basic needs.

I wonder how many people in churches actually know the basic needs of their fellow church members. ... We rarely talk about how we could meet one another's basic needs. It doesn't often occur to Christians that this is what church is about."

- New Monasticism, Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove

I have to ask myself if I really know the basic needs of my own brothers and sisters. I must be more intentional about looking for opportunities to "see the need & meet the need" of my compadres.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relational Tithe

Weird ?