Thursday, May 13, 2010

Al? Bert? Albert? ~ No, Steve!

Several of us have seen the homeless man that hangs around Albertson's on Texas street but no one was able to connect with him until recently. Marion saw him one day while helping Pam and actually said "hello" (first contact)! It was intentional not to be too forward and engage in conversation; just be a friendly blessing. A small dilemma arose from this encounter however; "how do I refer to him, I don't know his name"? A call to Jim would resolve the problem, he's got a name for everyone : >) After a short discussion, three names were readily apparent - Al, Bert, or Albert in lieu of an actual name that he normally uses (Al or Albert would suffice for now). A few days later, another opportunity arose and Marion gave "Albert" a ham sandwich and water that she happened to have extra (what are the odds of that). "Hi, would you like something to eat and a water?" Al said "Yes mam - thank you". Marion replied with "Your welcome, have a nice day". Not again! She still didn't get his name. Today was the third time to be the blessing. This time, as Marion said hello and handed him some food and his favorite drink (red Powerade), I said "Hi, I'm Jeff" extending my hand toward him and he replied "I'm Steve".

Nice to meet you Steve!

1 comment:

  1. Sister M has her "Hobodar" finely tuned in these days. If she's not chasing down homeless women in parking lots, she finding Al/Bert/Albert/Steve on a bench. I just think that is so cool. Like I told Marion, she's one of my SHeroes. These are the kind of stories that get me so excited and encouraged. Keep that Hobodar rocking!

    ReplyDelete

Relational Tithe

Weird ?