Monday, April 19, 2010

"Wheels"

What a joy it was to find him in the dumpster! Okay, not so much that he was in a dumpster, just the fact that we found him. "Wheels", as I call him, but not to his face, is one of the homeless guys we have found downtown. The first time I saw him was about a month ago. We were going up the street behind the Shreveport Courthouse, and out of the corner of my eye, I see a man in a wheel chair, digging in a trashcan. He had no legs below the knees. I literally was nearly sick about it. I just knew he must be starving. It made me sad, and I wanted to find him, and attempt to be Jesus to him. I believe it was later that morning we found him going around a corner. We stopped him, asked if he wanted coffee, and found out his name is Richard. We have run across him another time or two since then, and found out he gets in the trash cans looking for coke and beer cans. He sells them to get money. Lorie and Jeff are saving cans for him now. How cool is that! The fact that he was not looking for food made my heart feel better. This past Saturday we took several tours of downtown until we found him. Yep, there he was standing in a dumpster. How he got in there; I don't know. It was so cool to find him though, and offer him a cup of coffee and some breakfast while he was literally standing in the dumpster. What a Kodak moment! Now that gave me the joy of the Lord. It is such a priveledge and honor to ride along with my friends (who have been providing the goodies) and bless these homies. Thank you Jesus for blessing my heart! You are so good to me.

1 comment:

  1. I don't get it...how can we "be the blessing" and be even more blessed during and after the event? God, You truly are AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Relational Tithe

Weird ?