Monday, July 25, 2011

Serpentitus

I've been told that I have "serpentitus"! What in the world is that, you ask...it's not even a real word! That may be true, but I do have it and maybe you do too...

I enjoy running on trails. Lately I've discovered the wonderful levy tops that meander along the river. What a great way to enjoy the beauty of nature. One problem is that they don't get mowed down too often.  When that happens there's always the potential of coming across a "snake in the grass". If the snake can be seen in advance, it can be avoided and does not cause much alarm. When you can't see it and actually step on one while running, pandemonium breaks out!

After an encounter like that, you become more focused on avoiding a repeat occurrence. To do that, your steps are a bit higher and there are several quick jumps left and right to avoid anything resembling a sneaky serpent (curved sticks, coated wire, rope, etc...)! The once enjoyable journey is now a fear focused frolic that expends tons of energy on needless things ~ SERPENTITUS!

Perhaps it's just me, but I realized how often I live life that way too! Instead of enjoying the beauty of The Creator along the journey I focus on the probability of being surprised by the Serpent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Relational Tithe

Weird ?